Friday 19 June 2020

Defying Disability

“Disability is not a Limitation….
                                 It is just a Mindset”
                                                         _Chaitanya Mukund

In the third installment of #SALUTINGTHESUPERHEROES, lets meet Dr.Rupinder Kaur, an Ayurvedic medical officer, who has defied her disability for serving the humanity.



Q: Please tell us a bit about yourself?

 Ans: Hailing from Ludhiana, Punjab. I am working as Ayurvedic medical officer under national health mission from the last 10 years, currently posted in PHC Jodhan. I got diagnosed with Polio, when I was just 6 months old. But despite that, today I am as independent as anybody else, and my only motto in life is to serve the humanity, help others and fulfill my duties as a doctor.

Q: What are your responsibilities and challenges as a COVID fighter?

Ans: These days due to COVID, my duties are assigned in general OPDs and flu corner, which is a separate section within the hospital.  Here we examine people with ILI (Influenza like illness). We inquire about their travel history, especially international travel, possible contact with a COVID patient etc. We guide them regarding precautions to be taken, and go for a COVID test in case the symptoms flare up.

I am also a part of Rapid Response Team (RRT), which is carried out at block level. So if someone enters our block, be it the contacts of a COVID patient or anyone returning from national or international travel, it’s our foremost task to quarantine them immediately, following obtaining of their travel history, bio data and other relevant information. 

During the field visits, people look at our caravan of vehicles with so much wariness and alarm. To convince them that these are here for their own wellbeing is quiet a big challenge.

 

Q: So are there any challenges which you face as a specially-abled while doing your job as a COVID fighter?

Ans: There are certainly challenges when it comes to field work  as there many places in rural areas which are completely inaccessible for persons with disabilities, due to uneven surfaces, under constructed roads, steep tracks  etc, that even able bodied  have a hard time to walk upon more often than not .

But having said that, our team is very supportive and cooperative and they help me at each step.

Q: What inspires you to work so hard and with such perseverance?

Ans: My biggest strengths are: my friend circle, my office mates and my family. They have always believed in my ability. Not even for a second, I feel my disability. With them around, I can be myself.  Also keeping one’s willpower intact is very important, along with a positive approach for better decision making.  It all enhances the essence of life.

Q: Your message to other COVID fighters?

Ans: First of all, my heartfelt thanks goes to all the corona fighters including sweepers, garbage collectors etc, who are doing their duties diligently despite all odds. People have realized their importance. 
I just want to say that, they are doing a great job and continue to do the same. Because at the end of the day, it is our collective contribution, which will make way for a better tomorrow.  






FOLLOW US:

@Chaitanya:

@Art Infinitii:


7 comments:

  1. I know her personally, yes she is full of life, enthusiasm & confidance. Yes she is daily proving that Disability is not a… Limitation.It is just a Mindset”

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my Pleasure reading this Article. Well Done Champion Chaitanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for appreciating bhaiya. :)

      Delete
  3. Very well done Dr Rupinder, U r doing great job, I know u r very hardworking girl, Stay blessed always.... keep shining always...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Neelam Grover20 June 2020 at 09:28

    Dr Rupinder is a true fighter..very intelligent and brave girl...very supportive and always ready to help anyone..she is truly adorable..God bless her !!

    ReplyDelete